FOOD BLOG RESTAURANT BLOG TRAVEL BLOG

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Gene's New Orlean's Style Poboys and Deli

1209 East 11th Street
Austin, Texas 78702

512-477-6600

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I was walking my new dog around my new neighborhood in my new city when I came across Gene's Poboys (okay, so the dog is my roommate's but when he's at work I pretend Sparks is all mine). It's a tiny spot and I was immediately enticed by the thought of a poboy, a type of New Orlean's style hoagie sandwich often stuffed with shrimp or roast beef and laid out fat on crusty French bread. Having enjoyed only one poboy in my life, I was intrigued, and declared to Sparks that I would visit Gene's the next day for lunch.

Yoga was excruciating the next morning as I fantasized about my impending lunch at Gene's. While everyone else om-ed and said their blessings to a new day, I sat there with one single thought: fried shrimp on bread. I ran home, showered, and rushed over to Gene's.

The ambiance was nice--down home, checkered tablecloths, yet, seemingly no air conditioning. There was a cluster of hipster boys in a corner. The man at the counter told me to sit and soon I would be waited on. I waited and waited and waited (of course this waiting was only made worse by my dire need for a poboy sandwich). Finally a young cute boy came over to take my order: shrimp poboy, diet coke, and a side of fries. My poboy was $7 and the fries just $.99. I perused the menu and made a mental note to return on Thursday for their daily special: smothered pork chops, collard greens, sweet potatoes, and corn bread (oh yummy).

The food came out relatively fast and the sandwich was just as tasty as I imagined. Two big baguettes filled with fried shrimp, lettuce, tomato, and special sauce (tasted like mayo to me). The fries were so-so and I didn't finish them but even though I was so full half-way through, the poboy was so delicious I ate every last bite.

It's both dangerous and amazing that this joint is just mere minutes from my new residence.

2 comments:

Mindy Diamond said...

I want a pic of a po-boy. What do they look like?

Brian W. said...

i almost ALWAYS think about food while i am doing yoga...

almosts always.