FOOD BLOG RESTAURANT BLOG TRAVEL BLOG

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Conejitos Place rocks

Conejito's Place
539 W Virginia St
Milwaukee, WI 53204

I find myself craving a certain kind of mexican food - the low-key family kind- nothin fancy, no salsa bar, sour cream bar, or fancy-pants fajitas. I can get your standard taco truck fare in New York pretty easily-tacos and tamales that are as good as any i’ve had in the East Bay where I grew up. At Conejitos I was psyched to find the kind of homey Mexican meals I miss. Such meals can be found at places like La Pinata in Hayward or Juan’s in Berkeley and all over the west coast- fluffy rice served with refried pinto beans alongside a saucy entree.

The X-Games were on the big screen tv, and some kid just broke one of his vertebrae on the ramp as we sat down to eat. I ordered beef enchiladas and a Negro Modelo. Usually served on a hot ceramic plate at most places, my beef enchiladas at Conejitos arrived on a standard paper plate. It’s like homey food downplayed by taco-truck-like presentation. But no matter. The enchiladas were delicious- shredded, spiced beef rolled like a fatty in a corn tortilla, covered in an exceptional enchilada sauce and sprinkled with white cheese. I didn’t use any salsa or hot sauce for this meal, though now, after going to a Milwaukee BBQ later that evening and having everyone tell me I should have tried it, I regret not tasting the hot sauce. Anyways, Cold Negro Modela at my side, I dug into that meal, and the next thing I knew I was full. By the time I looked up at my date, she had finished her margarita and chips with guacamole, and our asses were ready to hit the road. Bonus!-The meal was less than $20! BTW, can anyone hook me up with one of those Conejito’s t-shirts? (size Medium).

No comments: