FOOD BLOG RESTAURANT BLOG TRAVEL BLOG

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Markley's

160 Wayne Street
Sandusky, Ohio

This place was originally a "Cupie" restaurant, but it's been Markley's-- with the movable storage container look-- for as long as I can remember, which means since the 1960s. It's a place you might not even consider going into, unless you were attracted by that big "M" which looks like a big upside-down W. If you are in downtown Sandusky, Ohio, though, for any reason, in the morning, this is the place to go. It's just a good solid diner/lunch counter, with pretty good diner food, cheap, and it's an interesting place to sit and observe the locals.

The best thing about Markley's is how little it has changed. There are two sisters who work as waitresses who were working there when I was first a regular in 1980. I stop in only a couple of times a year now, but the one waitress always remembers me and asks how I'm doing. The other best thing is the donut machine, which is near the front door. If you can get there really early, like 4am, you can peek in and see the donuts dropping in the hot fat, being flipped over, and then plopping out to cool. They are not open yet, unfortunately, when the donut machine is running, like they used to be. But maybe that will change.

Markley's is for sale, or was the last time I stopped through. It sounds like they're trying to find a buyer who'll keep running it the same way as always. Maybe that will happen, but I'm a little worried. If I had a spare quarter of a million I'd buy the business and keep it exactly the same-- except I'd open for breakfast while the donut machine is running.

No comments: