FOOD BLOG RESTAURANT BLOG TRAVEL BLOG

Monday, April 9, 2007

Aurora

Williamsburg
70 Grand St
Brooklyn, NY 11211
(718) 388-5100
http://www.auroraristorante.com/main%20page.html

Sexy waitress with foreign accent does not equal good service

My boyfriend and I have had this Scrabble contest going. The first person to win ten games gets to go out the restaurant of their choice. I won, and have been dieing to return to this great little Italian place. If I'm going to go out to a fancy dinner, I want a place that serves weird meats, like carpaccio, rabbit, oxtail, botargo etc. things I can't really make at home.

We had to wait 30 minutes, it was a Saturday, and looked like maybe the Bush daughters were having an engagement party monopolizing the outdoor dining space. Once seated, there were dumb little candles in small paper bags on the tables which kept me from being able to see or read the menu. The music was set on what I imagine to be a 90's world music station, and was wayyy to loud. Lacking my two basic senses, sight and sound, I still managed to order fois grios, and my date ordered fish.

The waitress had a sexy accent, but was sort of slow, and brought me the wrong thing. Cute haircut with dyed blond tips.

When the foie gras did arrive, it looked awful, scary. Never seeing duck liver in this form, I felt like I had failed. But, the liver tasted like the best steak I HAVE EVER HAD. It was served with a poached pear, and it was just unbelievable. Buttery, rich, juicy, loved....

My companion's fish was also one of the best tasting fish dishes ever. A pan seared white fish on top of an asparagus puree with hints of cilantro, basil, and other secret ingredients that I couldn't place. Pan seared probably in butter, lots of rich creamy butter.

Dessert was a chocolate souffle with rose petal ice cream and fresh strawberries. Cutting into the souffle, warm caramel spilled out and oozed over the strawberries and ice cream creating a cold/warm goo reminisant of a good old fashioned McDonald's hot fudge sundae. I mean this in the best of ways, although I no longer participate in McDonald's, I still dream about that hot-cold thing they had going on with the caramel and ice cream.

The next day we went to watch zoombie movies at a friend's house. Aurora was mentioned. A friend, who's allergic to dairy, said he couldn't eat ANYTHING on the menu, because everything is cooked in butter, or served with cheese, or laced with cream.
I guess that's why it tastes so good.

(Warning: you'll spend at least $100 for two people, and it's cash only. They have an ATM conveniently located next to the unisex toilet.)

No comments: